Avondale Family Virtual Bingo Night
Plan a fun, FREE, family night and join Avondale Families at our first virtual Bingo Night. Lots of fun and great prizes.
April 7, 2022 at 6:30.
Space is limited so sign up early.
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP or see the attached poster to register.
As provincial health restrictions are lifted, we welcome a gradual return of excursions, co-curricular activities, and volunteer opportunities within our classrooms. We are very excited to cheer on the grade 7/8 basketball and volleyball starting this week during the lunch period. In Ontario all volunteers working with children are required to complete a Vulnerable Sector Screening (Police reference check). If you have never had a VSS you can pick up an application from our main office. There is a one time fee of $20, payable by certified cheque or money order to Toronto Police Services. If you have completed the VSS in the past an annual declaration is required. There is no fee for the annual declaration. This involves coming to the office, or you can simply email Michael, to declare if there have been any convictions during the past 12 months.
As the invasion of Ukraine continues into a second month, we are all horrified by the imagines we see from the safety of our classrooms and homes. At Avondale we have and will continue to welcome and support families from Ukraine into our school community. The TDSB recommends that the safest and most effective means of support to those fleeing the country, or remaining in their homeland, is through registered charities. The links below can be used to directly support these efforts.
- Canadian Red Cross
- UNICEF Canada
Thanks to the incredible teamwork of Avondale staff, students and families we have risen to each challenge to support each other and ensure a safe school environment. The weeks ahead will undoubtably bring familiar and unknown challenges. We thank everyone for your continued support and flexibility. We will continue to do everything possible at Avondale to keep everyone safe and informed as we continue to navigate these times.
- Covid – it is essential that all staff and families follow Covid protocols of daily health screening hand hygiene, etc
- We request that families inform Michael directly of a Covid positive test result: PCR or Rapid Antigen (RAT)
- As per new TDSB requirements we will notify the class of a reported positive.
- Reported cases resulting in class notifications this week (cases where the individual was in the school at least two days prior to testing positive or onset of symptoms: 0
- Average Daily absenteeism rate: 11% (average daily absentee rate in “normal” times is 8-10%)
Getting ready for 2022-2023
As we open 2022 we are already planning for the 2022-2023 school year. In February we begin Kindergarten new student registration for Avondale Public School. If you have a child born in 2018 they are eligible to begin Kindergarten Year 1 in September 2022. All registration will be conducted remotely. Beginning in February please visit the TDSB Kindergarten Registration website in order to register on line. Once you have completed the registration we will receive notification and contact you to schedule a Google Meet to confirm documentation. The following documents are required to complete the registration:
- Proof of age (birth certificate, Canadian passport, Canadian Citizenship card or certificate or baptismal record)
- Proof of address, including any two of the following current documents: Utility bill (e.g. hydro, gas, water), cable TV, internet, or home phone bill, insurance policy (home, tenant, auto or life), mortgage statement, rental or lease agreement or deed, current purchase and sale agreement, property tax bill or notice of tax assessment. Original correspondence from a government agency or legal clinic may be accepted as a second proof of address document.
- Proof of immunization (the card that shows a list of needles your child has received):
- Report online http://www.toronto.ca/studentvaccines.
- If unable to report online, parents can provide immunization information to the school and the school will mail a copy to Toronto Public Health. Toronto Public Health accepts and translates foreign immunization records.
- If requesting an exemption, call 416-392-1250.
- Verification of date of arrival, if your child was not born in Canada. Families who are permanent residents and refugee claimants may register directly at the school. Children without immigration status are welcome in our schools and information about them or their families will not be shared with immigration authorities. To register, please visit the International Programs and Admissions Office at 5050 Yonge Street, on the main floor, for a TDSB school admission letter.
This process does not include Avondale Elementary Alternative School. All 19 TDSB Elementary Alternative Schools adhere to a different admission process by application.
Childcare and Extended Day Program for 2022-2023 Infants to 3.5 years and School age from FDK-grade 6.
If you are looking for childcare for 2022-2023 we have two options available right here at Avondale. See attached for information and contact details for Mothercraft Childcare and to learn more about EDP please visit Extended Day Program website at https://www.tdsb.on.ca/EarlyYears/Extended-Day-Program.
Elementary Summer School 2022
The focus of the 2022 Elementary Literacy and Numeracy Summer School Program is to continue student engagement through the month of July. Programs, embedded in Literacy and Numeracy, are developed by the local summer school principal to reflect the local school focus.
Programs are offered in-person to students in K to Grade 8, from July 4 to July 29, 2022. This year, one online (remote) summer school program will be available.
For more information and registration information please visit https://www.tdsb.on.ca/About-Us/Innovation/Elementary-Summer-School
Avondale EDP Summer Camp
A full summer camp will be operating at Avondale this summer by our Early Years Department. Registration has opened for families currently enrolled in the extended day program. Please visit the TDSB website for program information, registration, and details when registration will open for new families.
TVO Learn Resources for Students and Families
Help your child learn, straight-forward resource to support at-home learning. Understand the Grade 1-8 curriculum requirements and make a plan or immediately access engaging resources and activities to start the learning now. Also features a catalogue of high school courses to support Grade 9-12 study. https://www.tvo.org/education-tools
The Home/School Partnership Avondale Schools’ Council
The parents of our School Council are working on several initiatives to offer parents more opportunity to engage with Avondale and some fun family events. Share your insights and suggestions:
- Q&A for upcoming School Council Meetings - https://forms.gle/8GAbmKWNk7Znh8269
- We are building our database of parents and the volunteers for upcoming ideas. Please share your skills and knowledge by completing the form. https://forms.gle/PfNDv9c9wEYWa9BGA
Save the Dates:
- Thursday, April 7 – Avondale Virtual Family Bingo Night – stay tuned for more details
- Do you have connections with a local community business that would like to support our Bingo Night by donating prizes? Please contact our School Council at email@example.com to learn more and obtain a business donation letter.
- Thursday, April 14 – School Council Meeting
Thank you for your support and insights.
Avondale Schools’ Council
Be well. Be safe. We got this, together!!!! Michael & Dimitra